The BHS Music Department classes are open to all BHS students and begin on the first day of school as part of the students’ regular class schedule. Jazz Band is offered during zero period, which is (7:05-7:55 AM) before the regular school day begins.
The band and choir entertain at home football and basketball games, pep rallies, community events, parades, graduation, numerous concerts, and compete at California Music Educators Association events. In order to perform in the concert, wind ensemble, and jazz bands, all band members must participate in the BHS marching band.
Chorus and Concert Choir are also part of the students’ regular class schedule. Chamber Singers meet twice a week after school (at San Mateo High School), and this class is available by audition only for both Burlingame and San Mateo choir students. In order to perform in Chamber Singers, students must be concurrently enrolled in Concert Choir. Auditions are in the spring for the following year.
Band is under the direction of David Kimura. Choir is directed by Shawn Reifschneider.
Reminders and important upcoming dates:
1. BAND CAMP - August 1-5 and August 8-12, 2016
- 8-12 daily, Mon-Fri, meet in Music Room (Bldg C, #101), near BHS Aquatic Center and adjacent to the La Crosse field in the Northeast corner of campus buildings.
- No registration required
- All Pep Band repertoire is learned and reviewed during Band Camp.
- You will also learn to march and play during Band Camp.
- Just as important, you will meet and bond with fellow-band members. Incoming freshman will be able to show up on the first day of school and know 70-80 students, including upperclassmen and know their way around campus.
- Please note, you must attend Band Camp in order to be able to march in the Half-time Field Show; otherwise you will be playing from the sidelines. If you have a scheduling conflict, please contact Band Director, David Kimura and copy Music Boosters President, Sherry Haber.
- Band group activities arranged daily by the Student Band Staff following camp (these are optional, but you will not want to miss out on the fun!)
- Lunch provided to the students by the Music Boosters at noon on Tues, August 2 and Tues, Aug 9.
- Pool party on last day of camp, Friday afternoon August 12, 12:30-3:30
- What to wear/bring:
• Comfortable shoes — you will be marching on the field
• Wear and bring sunscreen
• Hat and/or sunglasses
• Lyre to hold your music -- If you do not own one, it can be purchased atHeriz Music on California Ave just south of the Burlingame train station
*For the day of the Scavenger Hunt (student run activity after Band Camp), you may want to bring a bicycle, as you will be covering a lot of territory. Not required, but very helpful.
2. UNIFORM FITTING
Marching band uniform fittings occur during band camp; if you are unable to attend camp, the fitting will be arranged during the first week of school. Please advise if you would like to help with uniform fittings -- especially freshman and sophomore parents.
3. FRESHMAN PARENT and NEW PARENT SOCIAL August 18, 6:30pm – Save the Date!
Join the Music Booster Board, BHS Administration and other Band parents for wine and cheese at Sherry Haber’s home. Formal invitation to follow.
4. BAND AND CHOIR FAMILY POTLUCK, August 25, 6-8pm, BHS Cafeteria – Save the Date!
The BHS Music Boosters is a volunteer organization that supports the band and choir programs at BHS through fundraising, concert support and coordinating band and choir activities. Our first meeting is Sept. 15th at 7pm. in the Music Room.
ALL MUSIC FAMILIES ARE EXPECTED TO VOLUNTEER.
We need your help with:
- Serving lunch on August 2nd or 9th at Band Camp.
- Joining the uniform committee – fitting students for marching uniforms, tuxedos and dresses.
- Helping chaperone and serve lunch at the Band Camp Pool Party on August 12th
- Scholarship Committee Members and Chair Person (non Senior parents)
- Raffle Committee for Playathon
Please email Sherry Haber with your volunteer job request and any questions you may have. We also are requesting new parents to email us their email addresses. The SMUHSD does not provide us that information. All future band information will be distributed via email.
BHS Music Boosters Executive Committee
Sherry Haber -- Music Boosters President, email@example.com
Annamarie Daniels – VP Band
Kelly McLoughlin – VP Choir
Bo Parker -- Secretary
Debbie Hirth -- Treasurer
Noah Cohen -- Playathon Chair
Paul Lorence and Laura Gschwind – Playathon Co-Chairs
Cathy Everson – Donations Chair
David Greene – PG Trustee Representative
BHS Music Boosters meet in the music room from 7-8:30 PM, the third Thursday of every month unless otherwise noted. Please join us to stay informed about the music program activities and volunteer opportunities.
FOR QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT:
BHS Music Boosters, President
BHS Band Director
BHS Choir Director