Welcome to Band at BHS
The BHS Music Department classes are open to all BHS students and begin on the first day of school as part of the students’ regular class schedule. Jazz Band is offered during zero period, which is (7:05-7:55 AM) before the regular school day begins. The band and choir entertain at home football and basketball games, pep rallies, community events, parades, graduation, numerous concerts, and compete at California Music Educators Association events. In order to perform in the concert, wind ensemble, and jazz bands, all band members must participate in the BHS marching band.
Chorus and Concert Choir are also part of the students’ regular class schedule. Chamber Singers meet twice a week after school (at San Mateo High School), and this class is available by audition only for both Burlingame and San Mateo choir students. In order to perform in Chamber Singers, students must be concurrently enrolled in Concert Choir. Auditions are in the spring for the following year.
Band is under the direction of David Kimura. Choir is directed by Shawn Reifschneider.
MARCHING BAND CAMP 2015
- When: July 27 through August 7, 2014
- Time: Monday – Friday, 8AM to 12 noon- many fun activities scheduled afternoon time are optional
- Wear: Comfortable clothes and plenty of sunscreen, hats are suggested
- Where: BHS Music room, C-101 and BHS Small Turf Practice Field
- Bring: Water bottle, your instrument with a lyre to be ready to play on the first day
- Eat: Lunch will be provided July 28 & August 4 from 12-1
- Swim: Pool party August 7 from 12:30-3:30 to celebrate end of camp
All band members are strongly encouraged to attend Band Camp. Band camp is a fun, free, two-week introduction to the Pep Band music for the upcoming year. Musicians also learn marching skills for the Broadway Pet Parade, Burlingame Holiday Parade and the Half Time Extravaganza Field Show at the Little Big Game. No registration is required. It’s a great way to meet fellow-music students before school begins.
The BHS Music Boosters is a volunteer organization that supports the band and choir programs at BHS through fundraising, concert support and coordinating band and choir activities.
Our first meeting is Sept. 17th at 7pm. in the Music Room.
ALL MUSIC FAMILIES ARE EXPECTED TO VOLUNTEER. We need your help with:
- Serving lunch on July 28 and/or August 4 at Band Camp.
- Helping chaperone and serve lunch at the Band Camp Pool Party on August 7
- Chairing Music Boosters Fall Potluck on August 20. Ask a friend to join you.
- Coordinating Donation thank you letters as VP of Band or Choir.
- Music Boosters Choir Liaison
- In-Concert Liaison (District Honors Choir/Band/Jazz Band)
- Scholarship Committee Members
Please email Sherry Haber with your volunteer job request and any questions you may have. We also are requesting new parents to email us their email addresses. The SMUHSD does not provide us that information. All future band information will be distributed via email.
Sherry Haber Music Boosters President firstname.lastname@example.org
Victoria Pickering, VP Communications
Laura Gschwind, Secretary
Tom Bodenlos, Treasurer
BHS Music Boosters meet in the music room from 7-8 PM, the third Thursday of every month.
Please join us to stay informed about the music program activities and volunteer opportunities.